I haven’t had a personal trip this 2017 and I was looking through the DIY Travel Philippines Facebook Group for some tips on where I can go this year. I already noted some ideas in my mind but what struck me the most that day was the question that Traveloka asked us travel bloggers:
How did travel change your life?
That struck me because I’ve been traveling since 2009. Before that, I was just a homebody who stayed at home and went from school to our house and vice versa.
Most of the time, I hear my friends and read from people online that traveling has changed them by gaining more self confidence, or learning how to get out of their comfort zone. I’ve had a different experience and learning which took my life in a big turn last 2015.
I usually have 2-3 memorable trips per year, and I keep it that way and not travel too much because of some reasons.
Among my trips prior to 2015, there were recurring patterns:
1) I didn’t pay for my trip or I was always broke before payday if I did pay for it.
Out of the 13 trips I've had before I had the "big change" I will share later, the breakdown of my trips were 4 work trips, 5 trips paid by parents, and 4 trips I paid for.
What happened most of the time was that I was always broke after the trips I paid for, up to the point that I will wait for the trip to match my payday so I can splurge immediately and run out of money in just one week after payday.
| Hot Air Balloon Festival last February 2012 |
| Dinagyang through the Pasinaya 2012 at CCP |
2) My parents would contact me more often when I was traveling.
My parents were never the type to check on me all the time even though I live independently in Metro Manila. They would occasionally send text messages like “Uuwi ka ba ngayong Friday?”
I remember vividly two instances when they worried a lot about me while I was traveling. First was when I had my Naga trip last 2013. Out of my foolishness, I texted my mom while riding the bus this message:
Inay, asa bus po ako papuntang Naga. Dalhan ko na lang kayo ng pili tart na pasalubong.
I could sense that she worried about me but she briefly replied:
Okay anak, mag-iingat ka.
The other one was when I went back to South Cotabato last February 2016. After booking our seat sale tickets last 2015, I immediately told my mom that I’m going there. She seemed to have taken note of it. Fast forward to the day before my flight, I brought up that topic again.
Inay, bukas na po yung flight ko pa-Mindanao. Sa South Cotabato po.
Huh, bakit ka pa-Mindanao?! Di ba delikado dun?! Sinong kasama mo?! Wag ka na tumuloy.
I saw the horror in her and my dad’s face, but he kept quiet while my mom scolded me. I assured them that I’ll be fine. My mom and dad constantly texted and chatted with me during my 4-day stay there.
Zipline at the 7 Falls last August 2014
| Went back to South Cotabato last Feb 2016 |
3) I always thought after the trip, “Where will I go next?”
I think many travelers could relate to this thought. Where will the next destination be? When am I going back to the road again?
But this thought was always blocked by item #1 because I needed the funds to go on the destinations I wanted to explore.
Exploring Pinto Art Museum last January 2015
Having a break from work at Zambales last November 2016
It was when I traveled with my family in HongKong back in May 2015 that I had this big realization.
My parents and I are not getting any younger. I can see that they worked hard when we were younger to provide a decent living for us and they are now enjoying the fruits of their labor.
I want to be able to travel in the future without always worrying that I will run out of money because I do not have travel funds and I want to give more joy to my family by treating them to more travel opportunities.
Spending a week-long vacation with my boyfriend at Subic last October 2016
That’s when I realized that I should have a 360 turn on handling my finances so I can do all of these. With a more forward thinking personality and armed with determination to turn my traveling journey around, I scrimped and cut my spending to 40%. I usually ate at pricey restaurants just for the sake of comforting myself from the stress at work, but I thought that this was not the solution. I would rather allocate my money to traveling and my future.
Aside from my savings, I decided to take a big leap and open a variable unit life insurance (VUL) plan with a premium of Php250,000. I wanted a financial product that would help me in the future, build my discipline in money because I totally lacked it at the point, and also be of help to my loved ones. This would be one avenue to fund any travel trips I want to have by the time I hit 55 years old or 60 years old without burdening my future kids too much.
I thought having a big dent from my income to set aside for this plan would be so heavy in my pocket, but the opposite happened. I built the discipline of setting aside money and always thinking about my priorities instead of being swayed by peer pressure to keep up and spend unnecessarily.

I saw your blog in Pinoy Bloggers Outreach and I am currently striving to be a successful travel, beauty and lifestyle blogger, at the same time thinking of ways I could save more so I could retire early. I'm 22, and really inspired by this post.
ReplyDeleteCheck my blog too~ annsalasph.blogspot.com